It’s Cincinnati’s most famous dish—and the original recipe hailing from Skyline Diner is top secret. But after researching hundreds of recipes, forum posts, and internet comments, we then attempted multiple variations in our test kitchen. The finished recipe is one that not only perfectly captures the subtle sweetness, hearty texture, and iconic taste of real thing, but also comes with an added punch of protein and beefy goodness from our instant broth.
- 1 pound ground beef (80:20 mix)
- 2 cups water
- 2 packets Instant Beef Bone Broth
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- Salt, to taste
In a large saucepan or stock pot, add all ingredients. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 2–3 hours, stirring occasionally to break apart any large pieces. Season with salt to taste. Serve over a bed of plain spaghetti and top with shredded cheddar cheese.